10 tips for selling a home in autumn or winter
It’s a truth universally acknowledged that spring and summer are the peak seasons for selling a home. However, the process of selling a house, whatever the season, always has its pros and cons.
- Attract more serious buyers
- Encounter less competition because there are fewer homes for sale
- Leverage the tight supply by securing a higher price point
- Show how the house holds up during extreme cold
If you’re keen on listing your home now, we’ve laid out 10 tips for selling your home in autumn or winter.
- Enhance your curb appeal
You don’t want leaves and snow messing with the overall appearance of your home. Here are some low-cost maintenance things you can do:
- Use a leaf blower daily to keep leaves at bay
- Clean and unclog gutters
- Add autumn flowers in your front walkway
- Clean dirt off walkways
- Add fresh mulch to your garden
- Clear your walkways
- Paint your front door and add seasonal ornaments
- Buy pots of winter-flowering plants
If you’re opting for a virtual tour, curb appeal enhancements work just as well.
- Show what it looks like during spring or summer
If you’ve taken photos of your home throughout the year, choose the most flattering and save them in an album. You can allow your agent access to the photos so they can decide whether they’re worth showing potential clients.
- Keep the driveway clean
Shovel the snow off your driveway, walkway, and front steps to spruce them up – but also to avoid accidents. Pour salt on ice to prevent anyone from slipping.
- Check your HVAC system
Check your HVAC system before cranking up the heater. You can also change your furnace filter. If you spot any problems with your furnace, fix them before you list your home. A home inspection will reveal HVAC issues.
- Add a splash of color
Colors help create warmth during the colder months. Use colors like red and orange for blankets, rugs, and throw pillows to make your home even more appealing.
Let there be light
Fall and winter mean days are shorter. If your home has plenty of large windows, draw the curtains open so sunlight flows inside your home.
Otherwise, you can:
- Turn on table or floor lamps to add light – use bulbs with higher wattage
- Add mirrors to reflect available light back to the room
- Consider repainting the living room and/or kitchen in bright neutrals
Clean your windows
Rain and wind accumulated during summer will make your windows appear dusty and dirty by autumn. Buyers will notice this instantly. You’ll need to thoroughly clean your windows for needed sparkle.
Get festive with the decorations
Adding inexpensive or DIY decorations will make a difference to your buyers. In autumn, place an unlit pumpkin spice candle on a table or counter. In winter, drape a bright blanket on your couch.
Get extra cozy
Give your home that inviting atmosphere that buyers are sure to love:
- Switch on your gas or electric fireplaces for virtual showings
- While a few decorations are OK, don’t go overboard. You want your buyers to envision your home as something they can live in year-round. No need for over-the-top Halloween decor or other seasonal ornamentation.
- Rearrange your furniture in a way that buyers see themselves entertaining family and friends in their house.
Hire a real estate agent
Contrary to popular belief, you can still successfully sell your home during autumn and winter. It might take more time than usual, but this is where a real estate agent’s role is vital.
Hire an agent who knows how to sell property during off-season. Ask them how they intend to sell yours.
Your real estate agent will also help you price your home right, so you’re not tempted to take low-ballers.
Are you on the search for a buyer for your property in Houston County, GA? Whatever the season, we at Warner Robins Home Search, are ready to help!
“Personalized service with a professional touch” are words we live by – and practice daily! Whether you’re a first-time home seller, we at Warner Robins Home Search, will make the process smooth and streamlined.
With over 200 homes listed and sold in the past 24 months, we take pride in ensuring that our clients are armed with the most comprehensive market data available. Our team studies neighborhood analytics, looks for potential declining factors, current positive property values, and so much more when helping you sell a home. With over 20 years of high level marketing and strategic advertising experience, Warner Robins Home Search is the team to work for you!